About the project
With a population estimated and 1/2 million people, Iquitos is the largest city in the world inaccessible by road. Iquitos is an area overcome with prostitution, addiction, crime and abuse.
For years Rodolfo and Saraid have build relationships with drug addicts, prostitutes and parents in the hopes of bringing the light of the gospel to many of the dark places that exist.
A children’s home is being build to love and care for 10 to 12 children, and is expected to be open by the end of 2018.
Weekly, Rodolfo and his team hold kids clubs, as well as visits to the prison, drug holes and families in crisis.
Goals of Hogar Genesis
- To provide care and love in a family environment for children who are neglected or abandoned
- To provide Christian counsel and support for families in crisis with the hopes of restoring the family unit
- To provide opportunities for adoption if restoration of the family is not possible
Facts About Iquitos
- Iquitos is the largest city in the world that is inaccessible by road
- 75% of people living in the slums of Iquitos are without running water and even more are without electricity
- Working 7 days a week in fishing, one couple may earn $20 a month
- Iquitos is a major center for drug and child trafficking and prostitution in South America.
- The rate of literacy is approximately 30% of the population
- Most people living in this jungle town drink from the river, wash in the river and pour their waste back into the river
- Many children born in the drug holes often die or are sold for less than $2.00
OUR MISSIONARY REPS
Rodolfo grew up in Iquitos, Peru under the care of his aunt and uncle, since his father was an aggressive alcoholic and his mother left to live in another city. He had a life changing experience with God at 22 which changed his future direction. Since his difficult childhood, Rodolfo has always had compassion for reaching children who have not had the opportunity to feel God’s true love and acceptance.
Rodolfo and Saraid have two children, a son, Salvador (6 years old) and a daughter, Gisell (5 years old).
201B – 727 Woolwich Street
Guelph, ON N1H 3Z2
We are proud members of the Canadian Council of Christian Charities